[Guide]Keybinds

Furmetal

Furmetal's Guide to Keybinds

Introduction, recommendations and about keybinds.

Hello console peasants, I'm here today to talk about keybinds. My internet nick is furmetal and I'm a feral player, 2400 exped on the 5.4.8. retail, and I use A LOT of keybinds, but none of you will just copy my keybinds, you'll make your own. I use office keyboard and office mouse(thus they have no additional keys/buttons). I have around 98 / 100 keybinds. Keybinds are something personal so you can't just copy mine or from someone else.

My interface

It's important to have keybinds since your reaction time will get better so you can use your most important skills faster than just clicking or going far on the keyboard, thus you'll want to keybind your important skills to easy to access keys, that I'll be showing you some suggestions.

First of all, you won't use keyboard turning(A and D), instead use the mouse, you'll play with your left hand on the keyboard and the right hand on the mouse, so you can always be moving and attacking, but leave W for moving forward so you can use your mouse for some /cast [@mouseover] spells or AoE click based spell(like rain of fire). Backpedalling is almost useless, and S is close to W, so you can keybind S to some spell and leave backpedalling unkeybinded/on another key.

Q and E are used for strafing left and right, but their position on the keyboard are way too special because they are close to the W key, which is where you want your keybinds - as close to W as possible, thus you might wanna keybind them, and then make strafing as CTRL + A for left strafing and CTRL + D for right strafing.

Recommended keybinds for starting - Q, E, R, F, A, D, S, X, Z, C, G, middle mouse button, F1, F2, F3, F4.

After you get used to the keybinds of your choice, you will begin to use ctrl/shift or even alt(but I do not recommend using alt because it's pretty uncomfortable to reach him, specially on a real match), using combinations like ctrl + Q, ctrl + E, ctrl + c, ctrl + z, shift + q, shift + f1, shift + f2 and etc.

From now and on, you want to start using your mouse scrolling. Keybind the camera adjustment(far and close) to another key on your keyboard(I use - and +), so you can use mouse scroll up and mouse scroll down(and variations like ctrl+scroll up and ctrl+scroll down) for quick access to spells.

Some keys that are really far that they became almost unreachable based on the other options to keybind, you can keybind them to other spells or items, like for vanity or mounts.

Tips

Do not use 7 and above as keybinds(7, 8, 9, 0, - and =) because they are REALLY far thus they become almost unusable and you have a chance to press the wrong button.

Do not add a lot of keybinds at once. I began with 5, then 13, then 24, then 33, then 45, then 55, then 64, then 78. Get used to them first.

It is up to you if you're going to keybind something or not, as I said on the beggining of the post, you do not have to follow exactly what I'm saying here, the keybinds above are all optional and personal.

Farther from H, N and Y, the keys are way too far, so try not to use them.

Addons

*Note - Since we are on 5.4.8. and retail is over 6.x, when you're going to download an addon from curse, go to "other downloads" tab and select the closest version to 5.4.8.

There are a lot of addons that can help, some recommend Dominos, other people recommend bartender, but I like to keep it simple so I use button forge.

Button Forge - You can create an action bar where you can make keybinds and set how many slots will this action bar have and position it on the screen.

Final notes

This guide will have some changes(updates) and I do pretend to make another guides.

If any of you wants to contact me, I play on Pandawow Fun, my nick is Yiff on alliance.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for the attention.

Edited by Furmetal