Russian-to-English translation addon! Need Translators!

DarkGrudge

Hello!

I am attempting to create a "WoWTranslator" addon that automatically detects and does a basic translation of any Russian speech in-game, and am finding that a lot of the abbreviations/slang aren't very obvious to translate via Google Translator, and could use some help to make this addon even better.

Before you dismiss this as impossible, I have already convinced myself with a working prototype that it is possible (and actually not that hard) because, like what we do in english, most people spam/say the same keywords and it's often enough to get the meaning out of context--see screenshot below of example. While it doesn't necessarily help us english-only speakers actually converse with Russian-only speakers in-game, it has been very helpful to me in many circumstances (ie, BG/World/Raids etc) to see what's going on (I even have made a few trades I otherwise would not have), but can be far, far better.

Therefore, I am hoping to enlist a Russian/English speaker to help me add all of the common keywords used (ie, ХПАЛА for Holy Paladin, ЖРЕЦ ТЬМА for Shadow Priest, etc). I will, of course, share this addon after it's deemed reasonably accurate.

Here's a screenshot of it in action (currently, displays inline with the rest of the chat):

http://www.lctwebdesign.com/example.png

You'll notice, for example, I don't know what what kind of Mage that is (ЛОКА = ?).

Here's a few examples of what I think I know to give you an idea what I need -- please help add to the list:

ДД - DPS

РДД - Range DPS

ЭЛЕМ - Elem (as in Elemental Shaman)

РДРУ - Resto Druid

Couple more examples of what I don't know what they mean:

КБ - ?

ХАВКУ - ?

ЛОКА - ?

АВАР - Arms Warrior?

ДЦ - Death Knight?

ДК - Death Knight?

ИШОТ - Marksman (ie, hunter)?

НАПА - Hunter?

НАПАД - Hunter?

СУРВУ - Survival (ie, hunter)?

By the way, I could also use a list of helpful phrases (such as the "Who will take" example above), here are a few more examples I know:

КТО ВОЗМЕТ - Who will take (example ins screenshot)

КТО ПОДСКАЖЕТ - someone tell me

НУЖЕН ОПЫТНЫЙ - Need experienced

СБОР ПАТИ - Forming group

ИЩЮ ПАТИ / ИЩУ ПАТИ - Looking for group

Thanks!

Edited by DarkGrudge
  • Like 7

ХАВКУ(а)= еда = пожрать - Food

Лок(а) -Warlock

АВАР - Arms Warrior

ДК - Death Knight, адк -unholy dk, фдк - frost dk, бдк - blood dk

Нап(а) - partner

ДЦ - Discipline Priest

Edited by Sukhoi
  • Like 2

Awesome, thanks so much! Those have all been added now, too.

Few more examples I'm missing:

ДДЄ - Melee DPS?

ШТОРМ - ?

ЧАРКИ СОКЕТЫ - ?

КЭП - ?

Есть пати в КБ - What zone is being referred to here?

РОБИТ - ninja/steal?

ШП - ?

Edited by DarkGrudge

If anyone wants to give it a spin, I posted a "BETA" version at:

http://www.lctwebdesign.com/WoWTranslator.zip

I do not vouch for accuracy nor completeness, but it's kind of fun to get an idea of what people are saying. Note, I generally didn't bother adding phrases/words that weren't game related so you'll still see a lot of un-translated text. You can always add more if you want to the lang_Russian.lua file (if it has a space, add it to the phrase array).

Edit: It's still a work in progress. When I get more time, I'll add a lot more translations in the future, but if someone who actually speaks the language wants to help, please let me know and just provide updated lang_Russian.lua files.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
If anyone wants to give it a spin, I posted a "BETA" version at:

http://www.lctwebdesign.com/WoWTranslator.zip

I do not vouch for accuracy nor completeness, but it's kind of fun to get an idea of what people are saying. Note, I generally didn't bother adding phrases/words that weren't game related so you'll still see a lot of un-translated text. You can always add more if you want to the lang_Russian.lua file (if it has a space, add it to the phrase array).

Edit: It's still a work in progress. When I get more time, I'll add a lot more translations in the future, but if someone who actually speaks the language wants to help, please let me know and just provide updated lang_Russian.lua files.

I will give it a try :3

• 2 weeks later...